What the Herx! {13th April - 17th May}

{Firstly, I'm not recommending any homeopathic medication or any treatments in this post, I'm simply sharing what has happened to me. If you do want to know more about this medication, then please feel free to email me & I'll tell you more. Secondly, this is a pre-warning that this is a long post as this documents what I've been dealing with over the past month. It took me a while to write & the brain fog didn't help, thank goodness for autocorrect!}

During my April Bioresonance Appointment, my Specialist told me about a homeopathic medicine that he had been trailing for the past 9 months with a few of his other patients that also have M.E & he'd seen some good results with it. He didn't use me as part of his trial was because I was simply too sick & weak to handle anything new. However, he thought I might be okay with it now as I'd been doing better He gave me the details of the company & the person selling it & the next day my mum very kindly ordered it for me. While I waited for them to arrive, we had an email detailing down the medication, {Lymphatic System Liquescence, Adrenal Liquescence & EBV, which targets Epstein Barr Virus} & the dosage of each of them.

Here's how the next few weeks or so went while trying these medications:

Thursday 13th April - Thursday 20th April
Following the dosage given in the email, I began taking the medications. Because the EBV targets & kills Epstein Barr Virus, it was recommended to take the lower dose of 5 drops for a few days, then 5 drops twice a day & then after a few days, up it to 7 drops twice a day. I aired on the side of caution because my body is so sensitive to basically everything {well it feels that way!} So I decided to take the 5 drops once a day but up the dosage a lot slower, so I did a week at this dose.

Besides the nausea that came from initially taking them, everything seemed fine, I seemed okay on them. Looking back now, I should have paid much more attention & realised the increase in pain & tingling I was experiencing wasn't just simply a few bad M.E days.
One of the few Sunsets I saw during my Herx week.
Friday 21st April - Saturday 22nd April

After a busy Thursday, I was dealing with Post Excursion Malaise {PEM}, so my pain & exhaustion levels were quite high. However, I carried on with the medication & had now decided {thinking all was okay} to up the dose of the EBV to 5 drops twice a day.

My pain & tingling was still bad but Saturday I wasn't feeling as bad & felt the PEM was easing a bit. I even managed to potter around my room, tidying it up & sorting out a few little jobs that I'd put off or wasn't well enough to do the previous week. Again I took the EBV 5 drops, twice & put the pain & tingling I was feeling down the PEM & M.E.

Sunday 24th April

I woke up Sunday feeling pretty rough; I had a really sore throat & one of my glands was up. I had that feeling of dread that only someone with a chronic illness knows when they think they're coming down with a "normal person" illness. As the day went on, I felt worse, but I took my required doses of EBV & at 9pm onwards things got extremely bad...

I began feeling incredibly ill & my pain level throughout the night was getting worse, by 11pm it was reaching a 9 on the pain scale! The worse pain was in my lower back & my head. The pain, especially in my back felt like someone was constantly drilling into me, I had a hot water bottle on my back to try to help ease the pain & had my room pitch black as I couldn't stand the light. I felt like my entire body was swollen but on the inside with no visible signs of what was going on on the outside. I was also getting rushes of tingling throughout my body, almost like I had pins & needles everywhere.

I could feel my heart beating so fast & every breath was taking so much energy that I had to keep reminding myself to simply breathe. I'm very use to getting on with whatever my health & body throw at me, I've thankfully not had too many scary moments health wise. But that night, I was incredibly scared. In between telling myself to breathe, I was frantically trying to figure out what was going on & what could be causing this; the PEM from my busy Thursday had eased so I didn't think it was that. Then my mum simply said "Could it be the EBV or one of the other Liquescence? They're the only thing new."

I suddenly remembered while watching one of Sophia Galpin's vlogs about her antibiotic treatment for Lyme Disease. She spoke about something called a Herx & how she was experiencing them with the treatment she was having because it was killing off the viruses & bacteria that cause Lyme. I somehow managed to look Herxing on my phone & realised that that's what I was now experiencing.

For those that don't know, a Herx or Herxing is the informal name for the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction. It is believed to occur when injured or dead bacteria release their endotoxins into the blood and tissues faster than the body can comfortably handle it. This provokes a sudden and exaggerated inflammatory response. This response sets your body's system off, especially your liver & kidneys, to deal with the toxins & to flush them out of your body as quickly as it can. It's almost like a final revenge as the virus or bacteria dies.

Although it's horrible to experience, Herxing is actually a good thing, it means the medication is working but sometimes at a rate that the body struggles to handle. Looking back now, I realise I had been having smaller Herx reactions from day one of starting the EBV {the other two medications are more like supplements} but I'd simply thought it was just my M.E having little flares.
My Boys Rarely Left Me While I was So Ill.
Monday 25th April - Tuesday 2nd May

After figuring out what may be happening to me, in the early hours of Monday, I messaged my specialist to ask him if this medication could cause a Herx. I don't remember much after that, just feeling like my body was shutting down in a way & I could barely keep my eyes open. In fact all of Monday was spent mostly sleeping or trying to hold a conversation on the phone to my specialist. He had reached the same conclusion as me, that I was having a Herx, although no one that he'd had on his trial had reacted like this; they'd had no reaction at all. He'd also been in touch with the Rep of the company that make the EBV & she'd not heard of anyone Herxing while taking it, in fact even the owner of the company hadn't come across anyone that had reacted the way I had! I'm a medical marvel! Haha! Basically,  we had completely underestimated just how sensitive I am & I was told stop taking it immediately.

The rest of this week was pretty much a right off. I felt like my body was using every single drop of energy it had to deal with getting rid of the toxins & I felt so weak. The pain in my lower back & my head were pretty bad most of the week, I couldn't stand much noise & being on any tech was a no go for the most part. I could barely sit up for long for the first half of the week, in fact I could sit up for the time it took to eat a slice of toast just so I could get my painkillers in me & then I'd have to lie down again.

From Thursday {28th} I began to feel like things were easing off a little & I could begin to sit up more & was able to read a bit. By Sunday/Monday, {31st/1st} I was beginning to feel a bit stronger but I was still being quite careful not to do anything, I knew my body needed every ounce of energy it could get. My specialist was on the phone or messaging me pretty much every day checking up on me, which I really appreciated & having the reminder that this was in the long run a good thing, really helped.
Herx Recovery Reading Material
Wednesday 3rd May

This was the day of my Specialist appointment & thankfully I felt just about well enough to travel & get there. I had no intentions of missing this one, as I needed to know what was going on & felt like my body needed some intensive Bioresonance treatment to help restore it after what it had just been through. During the appointment, my specialist checked how sensitive I am to the EBV medication; 1 drop I was okay with, 2 drop was too strong {I'd basically overdosed my poor body starting on 5!} So the plan was then made for me to start back in 1 drop, monitor closely how I was for a week & then if all was okay, to slowly try upping the dose. This method is hopefully going to desensitise my body to it.

I started this last week {8th-14th} & even on 1 drop I was essentially having mini herxes but as the week progressed, the strength & amount of time I was experiencing them was lessening. So under the guidance of my Specialist, I went to 1 drop twice a day on Monday {15th} & did the same Tuesday {16th}. My reaction to the second drop on Monday wasn't good, the pain & tingling was back stronger & lasting longer. Tuesday's reaction was even worse & I was feeling incredibly ill, experiencing flushes of tingling throughout the day & by night after my second drop, the nausea was bad too.

So here we are, Wednesday 17th May & I'm back down to 1 drop per day. I'll admit, I'm feeling defeated & mentally I'm struggling. I'm having to keep a close eye on all my symptoms & write everything down, which isn't a nice thing to have to do. I've never liked or kept a long term symptoms journal because of how it affects me mentally. But at the moment, it's a necessary evil as I'm having to give my Specialist daily updates & having it all in writing is helping with that. I've treated myself to a new notebook to make this process a little bit nicer. I mean who doesn't love new Stationery!?
New Symptoms Notebook!
Also I'm feeling pretty exhausted after dealing with yesterday, plus I had an appointment earlier in the day so feeling a bit of PEM from that. But these things take time & I'm use to having to take things slower & things not working out as planned thanks to my hyper sensitive body. Although I am feeling somewhat defeated, that doesn't mean I'm giving up on this. I'm going to persevere because in the long run, the EBV will help me feel better & that's all I want.

So that's basically what I've been dealing with this past month & why I haven't been posting as much on here & my social media. I'm sharing this because if it hadn't been for Sophia Galpin sharing her experience of the treatment she is having, then I wouldn't have figured out as quickly what was wrong with me. So if my experience helps someone else, as her did me, then this is all worth it in the end.

I hope you're all as well as can be & taking care,

 L xxx